Sunday, June 21, 2009

What's Been Going On

Wow, 3 weeks goes by seriously fast, does it not? My Dad left after my niece's graduation weekend and my Mom and Step dad came to visit for a week. My mom is doing so well I am just amazed. I am also giving great praise to God for her health and I made sure I enjoyed every minute possible of her visit instead of taking it for granted. The two young boys and my niece went back to Phoenix with Granny and Papaw for a two week visit. They will be returning by plane late Tuesday night. I think they have had a great time, but they are ready to come home too. I do know that my mom has enjoyed having them very much. Her grandchildren make her so happy and she loves to have them to herself to spoil. I am sure by the end of this two weeks she will be tired though. I am quite enjoying the noiseless and clean house. I am also enjoying spending some reconnecting time with my hubby. It is like a foresight into the future empty nest. Still, I am not quite ready for that and I look forward to their return soon.

L1 has been enjoying his time brother free. He has been busy working (lifeguard) and hanging out with friends and swimming summer league. He has had an awesome season. He qualified for the Ponderosa Invitational (next weekend) in every single event. Ponderosa is the regional invitational meet for the fastest swimmers from about 14,000 swimmers in the area. He broke 3 team records in the 100 Free. He got 1st place in the 100 Free at a local invitational meet out of about 45 boys (15-18) and he placed 2nd highest point scorer for his age group at the same invitational. He swam 7 events (2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and 1 fourth place). Yesterday was the divisional meet and he took a first in the 100 free, second in the 100 IM and third in the 50 butterfly. Today was the team award party and he got the high point award for 15-18 boys, the highest accumulative points ever scored by a member of the team, and a very special award called the Chris Marrione award. This award was started to honor Chris Marrione who was a Gator swimmer with great enthusiasm, leadership, character and sportsmanship. He died of leukemia when he was a sophomore and still a member of the team. It is voted on by the coaches and Luke was unanimously voted to receive the award. I was so very proud of him. The real bummer is that he was not at the awards party, he was at work. We had no idea he was going to receive the award. I went to the party when it was almost over to pick up his trophy and I found out he had received it. It really is quite an honor. I only wish he and I were there to hear the announcement.

Huck, Dudley and Frankie are all three just off antibiotics treatment. Huck and Dudley acquired a upper respiratory infection at the kennel and Frankie had a skin infection and a gash in his tail from a wayward palm tree barb. They seem to have recovered well, but they are also not enjoying the heat. If they are outside, Huck and Dudley are sure to be in the pool trying to get cool and Frankie is just trying to get back in the house.


We are soon headed to Colorado for hubby's brother's wedding on the fourth. We are going to do a side trip to Winterpark to enjoy the summer activities there like the alpine slide, mountain biking and rock climbing. I am looking forward to going to get a break from the intense heat we are having this year. It has been so hot so early that it is almost unbearable to do anything outside from mid-morning till sunset. We are also quite dry and could really use some major rainfall. I don't have another triathlon until August, but still I am training and the heat is just zapping my energy and motivation.

L1 and I have 2 more college visits planned in July as well. July 18th we are headed to the University of Texas and July 30th we are headed to California to visit Cal State Northridge and Hollywood and Magic Mountain while we are there. Then it will be decision time for him as early applications can go out as soon as September.

That is about it from here. I hope you all are enjoying the summer.

Peace Out!

Tri-Vet

No comments:

Post a Comment