Monday, May 4, 2009

We Tried

This past Saturday I had my second triathlon of the season. It was in The Woodlands, where my brother/sister in-laws live. Mary (SIL) is a great biker and a marathon runner, but she is not really into swimming. She wanted to do the race with me, so she asked if L1 would do the swim for her. He had been wanting to swim in a tri as a relay, so it was perfect. Mary had to wait in line the night before the race to get a race entry for them. Her co-worker is a great runner and she had never done a tri before either, so she decided to do the run portion. The distances for the race were a 500 meter swim, a 15 mile bike and a 5K run. L1 was a bit nervous about swimming in brown open water with a bunch of other people who don't necessarily swim that great. I told him to definitely start in the front of the pack. The start horn blew and he and one other young man were leading the pack. Then L1 ran into the pack of slower people from the wave before him. He couldn't get around the slow people and had to tread a bit to sight a way around. He ended up getting second in the swim for the relays and 10th place overall out of nearly 800 people! What a fantastic swim for his first time in open water. He complained that he would have had first if the people who were slower had just moved out, but that isn't the way it works! LOL Mary had a nice strong bike leg and Pam had a great run and they finished in first place for co-ed 2 female/1 male relays.

Anyway, despite my knee problems lately, I had a fairly good race. I had a pretty good swim and a strong bike leg. My run was slow but not painful and it was my first time running without my knee brace since my last race. I got third place out of nine in my division. I won a nice metal reusable water bottle.



Here are some pictures of us after the race.





It was really fun to do the race with family! I'd love to do more!

In other news, Dudley finished puppy class last week. He got a certificate and everything. He still needs a bit of work on the heal and the roll over, but he has perfected sit, shake, stay, down and leave it. We will have to practice on the other things, but he is a pretty good boy. Oh, and he weighed 66.6 lbs and was just 4 mos. old. That is almost 20# more than Huck at the same age. He is also completely potty trained and I am most happy about that! :0)

Huck is doing OK. He has some arthritis going on in his ankle on his good leg, most likely from putting more weight on that leg to get it off of his bad leg. But, he is happy and loves his baby brother and his food of course! LOL They are so much alike. You should see them come running when anyone gets ice out of the fridge dispenser. You would think they are getting a steak treat instead of just an ice cube.

I don't know if you watch American Idol, but I have to tell you I was quite surprised and a little scared that Adam was in the bottom two last week. I voted for him 5 times. I think there is a limit to how many times you can vote from a phone number (10 I think) so I plan on using all of our cell phones and voting for him the maximum number of times on each this week to help ensure his stay. He is meant to win....I just feel it. Check him out if you haven't seen/heard him.
Want more American Idol videos? Click here.
He is the bomb!! A lot of people don't like him because they think he is over the top. I just think he is such a great performer with a beautiful voice. He is always recreating the song to make it his own version every single week. I know even if he doesn't win, he is going to be very successful, much like Chris Daughtry.

Well, I am off to watch Dancing with the Stars now. I am rooting for Gilles (so sexy) and Melissa (so lovable).

Peace Out!

Tri-Vet

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to all of you for the race!!!!!!! You all did an awesome job!!
    And yay for Dudley's puppy training. I can't believe how much bigger he is than ours were at that age!!! Yikes!!!!
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank totally runs like a maniac when he hears the ice dispenser. In fact, the other day I caught him nosing around it on his own. I'm waiting for the day when he figures out how to push the lever without me!

    ReplyDelete