Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bigger Does NOT Necessarily Mean Braver

In veterinary medicine, we often see what we call BD/LD syndrome, which is big dog/little dog syndrome, which usually means that a big dog decides to have a little dog for lunch. It usually is quite a devastating and sometimes fatal outcome for the little dog. It always makes me sad to see them come in, but in my house, I have what I call LD/BD syndrome, and the roles are reversed. I have 3 dogs, till next month anyway. But for now I have, Huck, the mastiff pup who weighs 110 lbs., Frankie, the beardie mix who weighs 52 lbs. and Jitter, the little princess chihuahua weighs 3 lbs. Jitter carefully navigates around making sure she doesn't get trampled by big paws accidentally, but boy does she rule the roost at this house. She controls the toys, the beds and the food bowls! She may be little, but she packs a mean growl! Just take a look.



She is pretty determined that Huck will not get the toy, nor the bed as long as she's around. They will do this several times a day and we always crack up. Sometimes, she will jump up and stand up on top of his elevated food bowl eating his food and growl if he gets near it. He will start barking to tell me to come and make her move so he can eat! Mastiffs aren't necessarily the smartest dogs around, but they more than make up for it being so darn lovable! Thank goodness for her, he really thinks he is just a little lap dog.







3 comments:

  1. Awwww I can hardly wait to get Sassy! Such a sweet picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey M! Checking in from Florence. Let's just say the natives don't appreciate my,(nor apparently!) your sense of humor! Florence by Bike (sorted! Thank you!) You are too funny! E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell you what, Seeing Huck and Gabby make me want one soooooo bad, but Mike (the hubby) would never and I do mean NEVER let me get one. He says they are TO big and big dogs make BIG poop! (sigh) Oh well any other ideas on a dog that is as lovable as the Mastiff? Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete