Monday, January 19, 2009

A dose of reality

Alright, I admit it, I am a reality show addict. This is the best part of the year, when all of the reality shows are starting a new season. Well, now and again in September, of course. Anyway, my week is filled with watching every single episode starting on Monday nights with The Bachelor, followed by True Beauty. Tuesday nights are American Idol and The Biggest Loser. Wednesday night is American Idol again and Thursday night is Survivor, though it won't be starting till after the Superbowl...whatever! Then, whenever Dancing with the Stars starts its new season, I will be DVR'ing that as well. Of course, there are many more reality shows out there, but these are my current faves. And, yes, thank you very much, I DO indeed have a life, but this is my late-night outlet for unwinding.

Now, you out there who are reading this blog and say that you do NOT like reality TV, you are just in DENIAL. If you read blogs and/or have a blog, you are indeed into reality shows, just without running visuals, except for the occasional picture/video here and there.

So, here is my quick synopsis on what each reality show is about:

The Bachelor: Jason (this time a cute single dad of a 3 year old) is trying to schtoop as many girls as possible find the woman of his dreams to marry. The catch this season is that the girl who turned him down on The Bachelorette has decided she made a mistake, so she returns to get him back. So UNFAIR for those poor other women who really love him!

True Beauty: ten, supposedly gorgeous, people compete for the $100,000 and a spot in People Magazines 100 Most Beautiful People issue. What they don't realize is that they are not only be judged by their outer beauty, but by their inner beauty as well. If you ever doubted how completely caddy really beautiful people can be, then just watch one episode of this show. Hosted by the VERY beautiful Vanessa Minnillo (former MTV and ET host) and also Cheryl Tiegs (former model) and Nole Marin (fashion editor at Elle).

American Idol: Does anyone in the world NOT know what American Idol is about? I didn't think so. Back for season 8. They seem to be showing more of the talented singers this time and not QUITE so many of the total losers. So far, it seems like a very talented season.

The Biggest Loser: Super sized contestants compete for the title of the biggest loser by losing the most weight while on the ranch. They are split into groups working with two hard-core trainers, Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper. One of two contestants who don't lose as much weight each week is voted out. I love, love, love to see these people transform themselves by good old fashioned diet and exercise.

Survivor: 16 victims, um, contestants will captivate and aggravate us in “Survivor: Tocantins — The Brazilian Highlands,” which debuts Feb. 12. This is one of the most “rugged locations” ever as the castaways will “battle scorching temperatures, torrential downpours, and dangerous wildlife.” This season, the castaways will be divided into two tribes from the very beginning and each tribe will immediately choose one member to leave behind. That means making a solid first impression will be essential. I personally applied to be on this show several times. They did not choose me. Their loss! Of course, there are 50,000 applicants, but hey, don't I stand out? I sent in a video of me neutering a dog, maybe that scared the male producers!

So, you now know what I will be doing every evening Monday-Thursday! Is there anybody out there more of an addict than me?

8 comments:

  1. Hey M! Good job! I must confess I love me some reality programming myself. I also really love the cooking competitions.

    Anyway, keep up the good work with the blog. And I can hardly wait to get Sassy!! Those puppies are just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No.
    I think you win the prize.

    Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited about your blog, just wondering will you also have "Ask me Wednesdays?" That way I won't feel so guilty calling and asking my vet questions!
    Love all the photos of your men!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go M, Dawn here Janines sister in Chicago. Love the blog and I love me some American Idle. I live for Tues and Wed. right now. Both my husband and I watch and laugh together. keep up the good work! Oh and love the hicky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nat, you can call me for questions anytime.

    Dawn, thanks for checking in. I feel like I am a honorary member of your family. That hickey hurt! LOL Little sucker-puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. L, I can't WAIT to get our "little" babies!! What a great Valentine's gift this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. M--don't get me started on reality shows...where's the Real in them??? I can honestly say I've never watched any of the ones you mentioned. The only "reality" show i've watched is "Amazing Race" which I don't see so much as a reality show but as a travel blog. but I do enjoy blogs...welcome to this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. M,

    I am right there with you on reality shows. I don't watch true beauty and have given up on DWTS. I love the rest, although Bachelor is a bit twisted. I didn't know that deonna (sp) was coming back on! Shocker. I also love amazing race (my all time fav) and the cooking shows like Top Chef and Next Food Network Star.

    Anywhooo, I'm enjoying the blog and have it bookmarked so will check back often.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete