Thursday, February 12, 2009

Taking my own advice

You know, veterinarians, or at least me in particular, are like the mechanic whose own cars are overdue for oil changes or the cardiac doctor who is overweight and smokes. We just don't always practice what we preach. I always tell people with a new puppy about the wonderful benefits of crate training. It keeps a puppy safe from household dangers and it keeps the house safe from puppy dangers. But do my own dogs have crates? Oh no, of course not. My dogs will act perfect because they are owned by a veterinarian. Well, I totally realized that they are NOT perfect and in fact, were not only going to ruin my house completely but also wreck my relationship with them when I came home to see this



and this




and this




and this



Now, mind you I had talked with my friend J just not that long ago and even got the information for where she bought her giant dog crate for Gabby (Huck's sister). But, I figured I could solve the problem much cheaper with a giant dog bone for Huck to chew on instead of my woodwork. I mean look at the size of this bone!!





He could chew on it to his heart's content and leave the house trim alone. Problem solved. He would be happy to have something to occupy his mouth and I would be happy it wasn't part of the house. I even bought Frankie a smaller version, so they would each have their own bone. And that worked great...until Frankie ate all of his bone, cause it was smaller, after all, he is a smaller dog. Then, today, I came home to find Frankie hovering over Huck's bone and growling every time Huck came near. So Huck decided to chew up the woodwork instead! Mistake...BIG BIG mistake. So now, they get to stay in these whenever I am gone.


I ordered two of them today and they can't get here soon enough. I know it isn't cruel, I sing crate praises all the time. They stay out of trouble and you keep a loving, positive relationship with your dog. I just wish learning this valuable lesson didn't cost so much! The cost of replacing the woodwork, painting the new woodwork, repairing the wall, plus the cost of 2 GIGANTIC dog crates, since I am getting Dudley on Sunday, and of course, he is getting one too! Yikes! But hey, in the long run, I know the crates will at least pay themselves off in the saved damages and I can feel proud that I now truly believe in and indeed take my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment